Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at flickr Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at flickr Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Flickr Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Flickr Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Flickr Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Flickr

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Go Big or Go Home!

I'm sure most of you are wondering why in the world I would title this blog, "Go Big or Go Home."  People that know me, tease me all the time for my over the top ideas and "go big" philosophy.  It's actually become quite the joke around the shop.  There have been numerous times when my staff has just had it; it's late and the creative juices have done dried up.  :)  It's at that very moment I get some hair brained idea requiring every ounce of energy they could possibly muster up.  However, what they have also come to appreciate, or so they say, it's during that "CRAZY MOMENT" where really cool things happen.  So, I should probably send a shout out to the amazing designers, friends and co-workers who humor me daily.   Thanks guys!

Now that you know where I'm going with all of  this I'm so excited to share one of my hair brained idea with you.  This tree was unbelievably labor intensive but the end result was truly spectacular.  I actually still get weepy looking at these pictures.  :)    
It took 5 designers over 8 hours to create this unbelievable faux cherry blossom tree.  Over 3,000 blooms were hand wired, glued and strategically placed within the tree.  A varying color combination of pink cymbidium and dendrobium orchids were used. This helped create the overall depth to the design. 
Branches from a wild cherry tree were harvested by a local farmer which were used in an effort to keep the tree looking as authentic as possible.  The best part of this part of the tree was the amazing green moss all over the branches which I absolutely loved!  This majestic beauty stood over 13ft tall!  
The tree was placed in a great 4 ft black ceramic container purchased at Wealthy at Charles.  As usual my buddies, Len and Michael, took great care of me.  Thanks guys!   

...On a side note, Wealthy at Charles carries the amazing 18 karat product which is a wonderful line of  contemporary home accessories, containers, etc.  They also have a gorgeous garden area that is simply stunning in the summer time.  I can't walk out of that store without spending a ridiculous amount of money but it's so worth it.  I have to admit I'm slightly jealous that I can't have a garden area at my studio.  However it's a little difficult when you're located in the heart of downtown Grand Rapids and your side yard is an Ellis parking lot.  :)   
Thanks Jen for capturing the very essence of this labor of love, Jodi for designing such a fantastic event and my amazing staff who won't "go home" until we have "gone big".

8 comments:

Janet said...

"Go big or go home!" That's one of my favorite sayings! This post proves that it's better to have one show stopping arrangement than a bunch of tiny ones. I love the tree. Great work Jenn & crew!

Great flower lady said...

I love the tree!! I WANT ONE!! and you really need a garden~Tracy

jessica@miphotobooth.com said...

This philosophy is precisely what sets you apart from those "other designers". You are a true ARTIST and I know the lovely ladies who work with you are inspired by those big ideas all the time!

Erin Marie said...

I love your optimism in ALL of your blog posts :) And I love that the "tree" has a post all to itself!!! It was so incredible... a beast, but so amazing :)

ele3 said...

This is beautiful Jen, your team did a great job putting it together it is just lovely!

Jenny said...

a-mazing! that is one of the most spectacular things I've seen in awhile. Congrats!

My Sweet & Saucy said...

This is amazing! I wish I could see it in person!

mobidesignstudio said...

WOW! That says it all!